Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Memory Eternal


My family was saddened last evening to hear of the sudden death of my wife’s niece. She lived locally, as does most of her extended family, so we were able to spend time with her parents and siblings. I was able to offer for her the prayers of the church, commending her spirit into the hands of our gracious Lord. I can say little of this – for words fail – only that as I stood in the presence of death I knew I stood in the presence of a defeated foe, for the Lord, the Giver of Life, was also present in grace and power.

Of your great mercy, please pray for all the faithful departed, especially this dear one, and for all those who mourn.

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs bestowing life.

Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

No comments: