Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Saints Mary and Martha: Sabbatical


For years, like Martha of Bethany, I have bustled about the kitchen of the Kingdom of God, doing good and necessary work while sometimes ignoring the better part of simply sitting at the feet of Jesus. I now have an opportunity to change that, an opportunity to take a long-overdue sabbatical. It is a gift not to be ignored.

So, for the next three or four months I do not plan to write or post new sermons. I plan to listen to Scripture as God’s word to me, and not as God’s word through me to others. I plan to compose new songs for the glory of God alone. I will read good books and perhaps begin a writing project of my own. I will sit at the feet of Jesus with Mary and pray long, leisurely prayers. I will rest in God. From time to time I will post reflections on this whole process or on other aspects of the Christian experience that seem important to me during this process. As always, I welcome your comments and I covet your prayers.

Christos anesti! Alithos anesti!

No comments: